This updated version of geriatric assessment concentrates on those portions of a total assessment that are commonly performed in a clinical setting. It describes a functional assessment, and demonstrates a step-by step physical assessment, identifying steps that may differ in evaluating the health status of an older adult. It also provides a brief overview on mental status assessment as well as the importance of an inventory of medications.
Objectives:After completing this course, the learner should be able to:
- Explain the importance of performing an accurate and thorough assessment of the geriatric patient
- Take a health history and perform a functional assessment
- Perform a comprehensive, "head-to-toe physical assessment of the patient
- Assess the mental status of the geriatric patient
- Take an inventory of medications that the patient is currently on