The purpose of this video is to present the rationale and procedures for scrubbing, gowning, and gloving for surgical team members preparing to participate in an invasive procedure. The surgical team's careful attention to aseptic practices and standard precautions is a crucial factor in protecting patients from surgical site infections and team members from exposure to pathogens.
Upon completion of this activity, the participant should be able to:
- Discuss the principles of aseptic technique as applied to scrubbing, gowning, and gloving
- Describe the surgical hand scrub/rub procedure
- Describe the correct method for donning gowns and gloves
- Describe the correct method for removing gowns and gloves
- Identify the sterile areas of the gown and glove