HIPAA: A Guide for Healthcare Workers provides a detailed review of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, and focuses on the patient privacy and data security issues that will have the most impact on the practices of healthcare workers.
PURPOSE AND OVERALL GOAL:
The goal of this program is to define and discuss current and forthcoming HIPAA initiatives regarding patient privacy and data security. The program provides a detailed review of the reforms that have been identified for implementation, and provides information to help healthcare workers comply with these new guidelines.
After completing this course, the learner should be able to:
- Describe the overall purpose and goals of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, and the specific objectives that are being implemented now.
- Explain the role of the HIPAA implementation team, as well as the role of the individual healthcare worker in ensuring compliance to HIPAA reforms.
- Implement administrative simplification reforms as defined by your HIPAA implementation team.
- Demonstrate compliance with privacy reforms, including written notice, acknowledgement, prior authorization, and minimum disclosure.
- Demonstrate compliance with data security reforms, including issues regarding workplace layout, information storage, and rules covering conversation.