This video reviews the principles of perioperative assessment, with specific reference to the role of the perioperative nurse in this process. Sources of assessment data are described, including the surgical schedule, the patient's chart, the patient interview and physical examination, and consultation with other health care professionals. Aspects of physiological and psychosocial assessment and reassessment are examined in detail. Implications for nurse managers are also mentioned.
Upon completion of this activity, the participant should be able to:
- Discuss the benefits of a comprehesive patient assessment
- Describe the sources of assessment data
- Explain how perioperative assessment fits into the nursing process
- List the components of physiological and psychosocial assessment
- List the effects that characteristics of the patient may have on these aspects of the perioperative assessment process
- Discuss the impllications of perioperative assessment requirements for nurse managers