The purpose of this video is to provide information to perioperative staff members on the use, care and handling of all surgical instruments including minimally invasive, powered and endoscopic instruments.
Upon completion of this activity, the participant should be able to:
- State the principles of instrument care.
- Describe the four major categories of surgical instruments.
- Name the basic components of powered instruments.
- Discuss special considerations for endoscopic instruments.
- Discuss intraoperative instrument handling including proper passing techniques.
- Describe the proper cleaning required for each category of instrument.