The Nursing Assistant SERIES: Serving a Meal
Overview:Eating nutritious meals is an important and basic necessity for maintaining physical and emotional health. Some residents cannot feed themselves due to weakness, paralysis and other physical limitations and will need assistance at mealtime. This program presents techniques of serving a meal to both those who can eat independently, and those who require assistance. It includes ensuring that the correct meal is being served, and preparing an environment to make mealtime a pleasant experience.
Objectives:After completing this course, the learner should be able to:
- Serve a meal to a person who eats independently
- Identify and describe the use of assistive devices a person may use to eat a meal
- Serve a meal to a person who cannot eat independently
- Describe techniques for feeding a dependent person that help prevent choking
- Describe steps that can be taken to encourage eating